configuring up2date for apt repository

Andy Green fedora at warmcat.com
Mon Sep 29 14:39:31 UTC 2003

On Monday 29 September 2003 15:16, Justin Georgeson wrote:

> I think RHN/up2date is great, but since I can't see myself paying,
> I'd like to have an alternative that won't involve me using Red
> Hat's network resources without paying for them. (Since the main
> reason for the whole reorganization seems to be supporting the free
> RHL product was costing too much money, I'll leave the RHN network
> to the paying customers)

Hi Justin -

I made a script which does a similar job to up2date, using the
distributed Redhat FTP mirrors to automatically fetch, confirm
signature on, and install updated packages.  People have tested it
with RH7.3 thru 9.  It also supports creation and syncing of local
mirrors if you have multiple client machines, you can elect one to
mirror the FTP site and point the others to the local machine.  It
emails reports from the client machines on update.

http://warmcat.com/up3date

As soon as there is an entry for Fedora in the updates directory of
the FTP mirrors it should work with Fedora too.

Since its just a cron-nable script rather than a GUI app I doubt it
will cause the downfall of Redhat :-O, but some admins are already
finding it useful to avoid 'Survey fatigue'.

-Andy