Samba problems

Christopher A. Williams chrisw01 at privatei.com
Mon Sep 29 15:27:28 UTC 2003

On Mon, 2003-09-29 at 09:14, Jay Fenlason wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 29, 2003 at 06:27:35AM -0500, Nicholas Marsh wrote:
> > Every resource I access with samba requires a password multiple times.
> > For example if I copy a folder to my Ferdora box that has 13 files in
> > it, I get prompted for my password 13 times. Very annoying.
> >
> > Any idea what I'm doing wrong?
>
> If you're using unencrypted passwords, that's a known problem with
> Windows--it doesn't cache the password, so it needs to re-ask every
> time it needs it.  The only workaround is to enable one-or-more of the
> encrypted password types.

I've noticed the same behavior - could it be gnome-vfs is sending
unencrypted passwords? In my case, I'm trying to connect to a Windows XP
share running in a VMware session on the same machine. Is there a way to
make Nautilus (I'm assuming via gnome-vfs) send encrypted passwords if
it isn't?

Also, in my case, I am simply unable to connect from that Windows XP VM
to the samba shares I have set up on my Samba enabled system (the host
OS). I tried uninstalling samba, but can't due to dependency issues with
kde-base. I wanted to see if the final samba 3.0 from samba.org would
work. Yes I do know that the Red Hat RPM from samba.org is different - I
was going to uninstall samba, samba-common, samba-client and samba-swat
(which also doesn't work, BTW), but didn't bother trying because of the
dependency issues.

I will be glad to bugzilla this if it's not there already.

Cheers,

Chris

--
"If you get to thinkin' you're a person of some influence,