installing and selecting runlevel 3?

Georg E Schneider georg at georgs.org
Mon Sep 29 20:57:50 UTC 2003

Robert P. J. Day schrieb:

 >   perhaps my memory is just going, but did i just overlook where, in
< > the installation, i can select that i just want to boot to runlevel
3?  > i'm a *real* fan of this, particularly since my first attempt
 > to install fedora
 > hung at trying to run "firstboot".
 >
 >   and bypassing firstboot made it clear that trying to startx with this
 > particular make and model of monitor fails miserably.  i much prefer
 > to start with runlevel 3, and only switch to 5 once i verify that
everything
 > works properly.
 >
 > rday
 >

 > --

If you can get a text-based console or boot up with "linux single" you
can edit /etc/inittab thers a line

id:5:initdefault:

change it to

id:3:initdefault:

--
1024D/2CF44148 2003-06-29 Georg E Schneider <georg at georgs.org>
Key fingerprint = 4F44 9A46 2238 6CFA D271  D09C 235F EFB0 2CF4 4148