Transgaming WineX (specifically EverQuest) under Fedora 0.94

Deryk Lister list at cloudk.clara.co.uk
Mon Sep 29 23:32:27 UTC 2003

I posted the following message to the TransGaming messageboards, and
will also post it here in case anyone has any ideas!  The problem, I
think, is with the kernel but I've yet to put my finger on it.

This thread seems to outline a similar problem, and the same method I
tried (grabbing a vanilla kernel and compiling with a Fedora .config
file) but whilst it worked for this person it didn't work for me:

http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-test-list/2003-September/msg00218.html

The TransGaming post is as follows

-------------------------------------

Location: http://www.transgaming.com/postlist.php?forum=14

WineX Version: 3.1
Video Card: Geforce2. Driver: nvidia
Sound Card: C-media - onboard
Game Title: EverQuest

I'm running the 2nd pre-release of Fedora Linux "Severn" build,
previously known as Red Hat Linux 10.

When running winex3 -debugmsg +err eqgame.exe patchme I get:

err:win32:do_relocations Standard load address for a Win32 program
(0x00400000) not available - security-patched kernel ?
err:win32:do_relocations FATAL: Need to relocate
G:stuffgamesEverQuesteqgame.exe, but no relocation records present
(stripped during link). Try to run that file directly !
/usr/lib/transgaming_winex3//winex/bin/wine: can't exec 'eqgame.exe
patchme': error=21

EQ is running from a mounted FAT32 partition, if it makes any
difference.

Picking up on the bit about "patched kernel" I downloaded a vanilla
kernel and used the Fedora .config file stored as:
/usr/src/linux-2.4.22-1.2061.nptl/configs/kernel-2.4.22-athlon.config
but sadly this didn't solve the problem.

After a search on the Fedora mailing lists, I also tried:
echo 0 > /proc/sys/kernel/exec-shield
echo 0 > /proc/sys/kernel/exec-shield-randomize
to no avail. With the vanilla kernel, these files don't even exist.

Any suggestions/workarounds appreciated!

(I'd quite like to see this fixed - without workarounds - before Fedora
is released, if anything to prevent newbs getting put off. Will help in
any way I can, but note I'm not a programmer)

Cheers