anaconda performance thoughts [Re: ANNOUNCE: Severn Test 2 Anaconda Updates Image Available]

Matt Bernstein mb/redhat at dcs.qmul.ac.uk
Tue Sep 30 23:18:45 UTC 2003

On Sep 29 Michael Fulbright wrote:

>The amount of feedback we've received for the Fedora Core Severn Test 2
>has been impressive.  The anaconda team appreciates the time everyone
>has taken to test anaconda.

Not strictly related, but I've been thinking for a while now that most
people do CD installs and watch the CD LED flash, then the HDD LED.
This alternating is a bottleneck which I guess can be reduced by either
or both of:

1. introduce extra threads to pre-cache the next files from install media
   (may be a help over the network too) while current RPM is installing

2. mount the ext3 target volumes ext2 while installing (this could still
   apply in days of dir_index and ACLs)

Is Bugzilla the place for these ideas?