incoming ssh/sftp blocked by iptables

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Wed Apr 14 20:53:30 UTC 2004

On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 16:51:56 -0400, fulko.hew at sita.aero
<fulko.hew at sita.aero> wrote:
> I would think that the startup script for SSH should
> also punch a hole in iptables in a similar manner.
>
> Any comments before I Bugzilla it?

err....punching a wide open hole for ssh at the initscript level is probably
very not a good idea. I certaintly don't punch wide open holes through
my firewall to let ssh connections through. I punch targeted holes to
let in machines or subnets out in the wild that i know i'm going to be
using regularly.  NTP, not being a compete shell access login
service...sits in a far different place in the paranoia landscale, so
punching a wide open hole for ntp doesn't completely freak me out.

-jef"Would really really hate to have to edit an ssh initscript to
disable the firewall hole punching to be able to reimplement targeted
ssh access to his machines"spaleta