networking profiles in FC2T2/3

pjain001 at covad.net pjain001 at covad.net
Wed Apr 28 18:56:36 UTC 2004

Folks,
I seem to be either doing something wrong or networking profiles don't
work with FC2T2.  I haven't tried them previously so I could be completely
wrong.

I'm running FC2T2 completed pathed using yum ( upto FC2T3 - but not a
fresh install or upgrade) on a IBM Thinkpad T40.  The T40 has a centrino
chip ( useless on linux ), a Gigabit Ethernet Card and I've also installed
the Netgear WG511 802.11g card using the prism54 drivers.  The WG511 works
pretty well most of the time with FC2T2 but all the configs are tied to my
home access point.

What I wanted to do was have a new network profile for the gigabit
ethernet and the wireless WG511 to use DHCP and also use different access
points, depending on whether I'm in the office, home, or sitting at a
Starbucks.  After reading the help for system-network-config, I thought I
could get it to work but system-network-config doesn't appear to only
activate certain devices in certain profiles.

For example:

"Common" profile:
o Gigabit Ethernet has fixed IP as eth0
o Netgear WG511 is in Auto mode for a specific AP with WEP encryption as eth1
o Both devices are active in this profile

"DHCP" create profile
o Gigabit ethernet copied to be eth0Copy0 and is active
o Netgear WG511 copied to be eth1Copy0 and is active
o Disabled device eth0 and eth1 in this profile

When I change back to the Common profile, eth0 and eth1 are no longer active.

Anyone have any thoughts/ideas or should I file this in bugzilla?

thanks
Pankaj