[OT] Bandwidth monitoring tools

Douglas Furlong douglas.furlong at firebox.com
Tue Aug 3 11:16:56 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-08-03 at 06:59 -0400, Mark Haney wrote:
> This is a bit off topic, but does anyone know of/use any linux bandwidth
> monitoring tools?  I'm looking for something to keep track of bandwidth on
> a couple of Cisco PIX firewalls and routers.
Morning Mark.

I've found SNMP to be the best underlying protocol for monitoring of
this sort, then combine that with another tool, along the lines of MRTG
or Cricket (both based on the same routes).

The above would give you good historic data graph's for capacity
planning and trend monitoring.

There are other applications that you could use for instant response,
but off the top of my head I can't remember what that is called, and
there may be better solutions now (I was thinking of a TK based
application).

--
Douglas Furlong
Systems Administrator