TERM=gnome - a possible way out

Michal Jaegermann michal at harddata.com
Wed Aug 4 16:11:57 UTC 2004

I got an idea.  What about creating a new terminal type
'xterm-gnome' which will be just an alias to 'gnome' and setting
TERM to that?  After all 'gnome' is just a slight extension of
'xterm'.  There is a hope that most other installations seeing
unknown 'xterm*' will reduce that to 'xterm' anyway.  I am not
sure how this will fare in practice but the current havoc
should be somewhat reduced.

I still think that adding a wrapper or two where it is required
and leaving TERM=xterm would be a preferred route.

  Michal