Something changed in cron upgrade.

Harry Putnam reader at newsguy.com
Thu Aug 5 04:28:48 UTC 2004

Anyone else noticing they can no longer edit there crontab with
crontab -e?  Even as a fully logged in root user I get this message:

You (root) are not allowed to use this program (crontab)
See crontab(1) for more information

I don't see any cron.allow or deny type files.  Creating
/etc/cron.allow and listing the needed user there fixes it but:

The man page says in the absence of them, only root user will be
allowed to use -e.

       If the cron.allow file exists, then you must be listed therein in order
       to  be  allowed  to  use this command.  If the cron.allow file does not
       exist but the cron.deny file does exist, then you must not be listed in
       the  cron.deny  file in order to use this command.  If neither of these
       files exists, only the super user will be allowed to use this  command.

Here, root was denied too. Until added to /etc/cron.allow