disttags (was: what's with the commas in the cyrus-imapd release tag?)

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Sun Aug 8 13:21:39 UTC 2004

On Wed, Aug 04, 2004 at 11:56:00AM -0400, John Dennis wrote:
> > Usually, multiple dependencies can be separated with a comma:
> >   Requires: foo = 1.0, bar = 2.0
> > Now if the package's EVR contains a comma, this breaks that format
>
> My goodness, a quite unanticipated consequence, but good detective work
> on everyone's part. It's easy to see now how a comma as a separator can
> create a parsing problem in another location.
>
> I will rebuild the packages in question with a different separator.
>
> But what separator?

Have a look at the 3rd party repos, they all have disttags by now
using "." and "_". So technically these are known to work and also
there is some consensus on using something like

buildid are either single integers, or decimal seperated decimals
(like in forks or CVS tags), disttag is "fc2" or "rhfc2" (please use
lower caps, FORTRAN is out :), and the last part is something a vendor
(RH) should not need to attach, so don't consider it.

(note: the releasetag definition above dsoe not consider the special
case or pre/alpha etc. releases for simplicity's sake)
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net