annoying bash3/readline5 bug

Paul Iadonisi pri.rhl3 at iadonisi.to
Mon Aug 9 20:28:37 UTC 2004

  I didn't see any patches in
ftp://ftp.cwru.edu/pub/bash/bash-3.0-patches for this, so it might not
have been fixed upstream, but here's the problem I'm seeing.  First, set
your editing mode to vi with 'set -o vi' and then recall a previous
command (or really, you can probably just type a new command).  Then
just hit the escape key to be sure your in readline's command mode.  Go
to the end of the line with '$' and now type 'r' to indicate you are
going to change the last character.  Now type the new character.  Presto
change-o, now the last character becomes the second to last character
and the second last character becomes the last and is changed to the new
character.  Ouch.  How was this one missed, Mr. Ramey?  Heh.  He must
use the emacs bindings. ;-)
  Anyhow, I'll file it in bugzilla later tonight when I get home.  Just
wanted to post here to see if anyone else has seen it and discovered
some obscure new setting that I've missed.
--
-Paul Iadonisi
 Senior System Administrator