What is smartd?

Clyde Kunkel ckunkel at been-there.com
Thu Aug 12 04:31:57 UTC 2004

Smartd is the linux process that monitors hard disk health when the drive
supports S.M.A.R.T technology.  If smartd is failing, it may mean there is a
problem with the drive, tho not a fatal one.  See if your bios gives you a
warning msg during post and also run your stand alone disk diagnostics.

Look at man smartd for good info.