Latest updares problems

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Fri Aug 13 19:47:12 UTC 2004

On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 20:26:23 +0100, Bart Kalita <bartk at clara.co.uk> wrote:
> Well, my first post about this problem was ignored so I've decided to
> repost it + add some more problems to it.

This post is not very useful because it doesn't convey enough
information for any other testers to compare with you and your
hardware. And your methodology for troubleshooting isn't exceptionally
linear which is a problem if you want people to trace your steps and
compare with what you see. What you want to do is make it as easy as
possible for people in the list to compare notes with you. So that
means detail specifics about hardware that you think is important (in
the case of sound at a minimum that means the sound card)
It also means doing as much as you can to isolate each problem before
you ask people for help with them.  Reporting a whole list of problems
that might or might not have shown up after you tried to fix other
things, doesn't help other people help you confirm a specific problem.
 Help me, help you.

> dropped down from kernel -517 to -515, mkinitrd doesn't work ..comes up
> with command not found"

So... you dropped back. Now thats a potential problem right there. You
have not told us that sound was workingin in -515 ever. If sound
worked in -517 but doesnt work in -515.. this is a non-issue. Going
back to older versions of development packages to troubleshoot a new
problem, like the mkinitrd issues right now, is a valid methodoloty.
But you have to expect other things to break unexpectedly if you use
an older development package. If -517 introduced fixes for sound, you
lost them when moving back to -515.

And its very important to isolate issues when communicating them to
others for troubleshooting or comparison. If something you did to work
around the mkinitrd problem caused the sound problem to appear, that
confuses things greatly, and its not necessarily worth anyone's time
to troubleshoot, if the sound problem appears only when you use an
older development kernel. Well, unless they are bug historians.

> installed newest Nvidia drivers and rebooted to KDE ... no sound!

the nvidia video drivers?  Thats also a problem. While you might get
people to compare notes with you about your experience with the nvidia
video drivers... ANY problems that only appear when the nvidia drivers
are installed are beyond the scope of what any fedora developers can
fix.

-jef