Grub 0.95

Michal Jaegermann michal at harddata.com
Mon Aug 16 18:30:35 UTC 2004

On Mon, Aug 16, 2004 at 06:20:11PM +0100, Philip Pawley wrote:

> I use "install":
>
> Today I used:
> grub> install --force-lba (hd0,6)/usr/share/grub/x86_64-redhat/stage1 d (hd0) (hd0,6)/usr/share/grub/x86_64-redhat/stage2 (hd0,0)/grub.conf
>
> That works fine. (hd0,6) is where I have FC2 - with Grub 0.94.
>
> Then I tried installing grub 0.95 by replacing (hd0,6) with
> (hd1,0), which is where FC3 test1 lives.

It is not entirely clear what you mean by "replacing".  Where is
a boot partition for this installation and where grub.conf for
it lives?

> I got the grub.conf
> screen up fine, but nothing boots: it just shows the name of the
> choice I selected and hangs.

Most likely it is looking in wrong places.  grub is rather sensitive
to various options and very easy to mess up.

> Is this a bug in Grub 0.95?

Not likely.  I am, in particular, using 0.95 all over the place
and it works just fine.

With multiple installations on one machine I found the most
flexible and easiest to maintain to have grub installed separately
for every one and from the "main" grub menu to use 'chainloader'
directive to load other ones. So, for example, I have:

title Some Title
        rootnoverify (hd0,9)
        chainloader +1
title Some Other Title
        rootnoverify (hd0,7)
        chainloader +1

in addition to "regular" entries for the first installation.
Chained loaders do not have to be of the same version and you
can go to another disk too, of course.

   Michal