can't load FC (1,2,3t1) on Averatec C3500 tablet PC

Steve Friedman steve at adsi-m4.com
Thu Aug 19 23:07:40 UTC 2004

I have been trying to load Fedora core on an Averatec C3500 tablet PC.
The unit is an Athlon XP-M with an SiS M741 video card.  However, once X
tries to start, the unit appears to lock up.

During the normal graphical loading of FC (I tried FC1, FC2, and FC3t1),
it wandered off after the request to check media.  I loaded FC2 via 'linux
text' and it gets as far as trying to run firstboot before heading into
oblivion.

Unfortunately:

1) I couldn't determine how to configure linux so inittab (on initial
install) would boot to run level 3 and not 5.  I don't have another
machine that takes the mini hard drive (so that I can edit inittab before
booting on this machine).

2) I couldn't get initscripts to enter interactive mode to bypass
firstboot and/or entry to run level 5.

3) I don't know how to proceed.

Suggestion?

Steve Friedman