Kernel 2.6.8-1.520 and Nvidia drivers same problem with 521

Aaron Gaudio prothonotar at tarnation.dyndns.org
Fri Aug 20 21:28:44 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-08-20 at 19:13 +0100, Bart Kalita wrote:
> On Fri, 2004-08-20 at 18:39 +0100, Si wrote:
> > On Tue, 2004-08-17 at 08:19 +0100, Bart Kalita wrote:
> > > Custom build driver doesn't work either.
> > >
> > > I'm attaching installer-log form the custom build installation.
> > >
> > > Looks like we have to wait for new driver or for some nice person to
> > > find a workaround.
> > >

> > I have had some problems but the work around that has worked twice for
> > me is:
> >
> > boot to level 3,
>

> >  at grub press a take off rhgb and replace with 3.
>

> Could you explain the above bit of instructions?

At the grub boot logo, press the 'a' key (modify kernel arguments before
booting). This will show you the kernel boot line. If you have the text
rhgb (for graphical boot), remove it. Either way, add the number 3 at
the end of the arguments to boot into runlevel 3 instead of the default
(which is probably 5).

Runlevel 3 is text mode. This will give you a chance to log into the
console and re-run the nvidia installer which can build a new nvidia
driver for your new kernel.

You probably don't need to reboot at this point. '/sbin/telinit 5' will
bring you back to a graphical login.