messagebus/eggcups high cpu usage -- glxgears slow

Steve G linux_4ever at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 28 17:31:05 UTC 2004

>If I stop messagebus everything is peachy. Has anybody else seen
>this, is this a known problem (I searched bugzilla and didn't find
>anything, but then I could have looked for the wrong terms) and most
>importantly, does anybody have a soulution?

This confirms one of my suspicions about dbus. I was looking to write a DOS
attack against it since it has 0777 permissions for its listening socket. I
suspect eggcups is doing too much broadcasting of its status, but I'm not 100%.
This does illustrate that a DOS is feasible if you have a local account.

-Steve Grubb