corrupted rpm db listing anyone?

Jim Cornette fct-cornette at sbcglobal.net
Sat Aug 28 19:10:58 UTC 2004

I was just querying certain rpms that were installed on my system. They
came back listing several versions of the same rpms.

Kudzu, hal and udev were some of the programs that came back claimimg
multiple version installations.

kudzu-1.1.81-1
kudzu-1.1.82-1

hal-0.2.97.cvs20040827-2
hal-0.2.97.cvs20040827-3

udev-030-7
udev-030-10

I removed the dupes from the older version, as a normal user
sucessfully. This removed the extra listing from the db.

As an example:

rpm -q udev
udev-030-7
udev-030-10
[jim at cornette-fc3 ~]$ rpm -e --justdb udev-030-7
error: package udev-030-7 is not installed
[jim at cornette-fc3 ~]$ rpm -q udev
udev-030-10

I didn't know that removing the db entry was possible as a regular user.

I did an rpm --rebuilddb as root afterwards but am curious if this
problem effects others.

Jim