OffList: Whats with the petty Open Source Pureness that has killed PWCX

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Sun Aug 29 16:05:08 UTC 2004

On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 12:12:54 +0200, Arjan van de Ven
<arjan at fenrus.demon.nl> wrote:
> I mean; the guy demanded his driver to be removed from Linus' tree. We
> might just put the driver back for fedora. We don't know yet.

I've taken this off-list because i don't want my suggestion to be a
launching point for Axel or someone for ranting.

If you decide to re-include this driver in fedora core even though its
not in the mainline tree, I would like to suggest that this driver be
maintained as a seperate add-on module package inside Core and not as
a patch to the kernel. I'm sure doing that has some down-sides in
terms of package maintainance, but i think having at least one example
of a seperate kernel module package in Core would be useful as a some
what authoritive reference to people creating add-on kernel modules in
Extras.

Either way its just a suggestion, in the hopes of making some headway
in the never ending kernel-modules packaging issues.

-jef