Using hint from MA Young - find duplicates

Jim Cornette fct-cornette at sbcglobal.net
Sun Aug 29 18:42:03 UTC 2004

M A Young wrote:
> On Sat, 28 Aug 2004, Jim Cornette wrote:
>

>>Since I was curious as to the extent of duplicate programs installed. I
>>decided to search the redhat site to determine how many programs were
>>multiple installs. After running the script from a posting from MA
>>Young, here is what appeared duplicated. This is an ataached files.
>>
>>The query below shows one example for translation of the attached file.
>>
>>  rpm -q binutils
>>binutils-2.15.91.0.2-4
>>binutils-2.15.91.0.2-8
>

> Get the more up to date rpm, then try
> rpm -Uvh newer.rpm --replacepkgs --replacefiles
>
> 	MIchael Young

Thanks! I found that using that script from the Redhat Network archives
and rpm -e --justdb multiple-older.rpm did the trick removing the "extra
  entry from the DB.
Since, I seem to be the only one that ended up with the problem, I
assume it must have to do with something unique to me only.

I only noticed the duplicate package entries because of a posting
related to udev and kudzu. Both programs displayed duplicates.

Thanks for posting the scripts earlier and it still being in the
archives. They came in extremely handy to resolve the problem.

Jim

--
In computing, the mean time to failure keeps getting shorter.