Kernel BUG with 533 kernel and JFS (Re: USB System Partially Broken with 533 Kernel?)

Michel Salim michel.salim at gmail.com
Mon Aug 30 20:34:11 UTC 2004

On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 22:26:36 +0200, David Zeuthen <david at fubar.dk> wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-08-30 at 15:07 -0500, Michel Salim wrote:
> > Please note also the 'uba: was not changed' messages that keep
> > appearing. The messages only start when I switch from runlevel S to
> > runlevel 3.. perhaps gamin is being over-verbose?
> >

> I think this is actually due to the fact that the hal daemon polls your
> device and the ub driver is overly verbose.

Ah, fair enough.

> Another problem: /proc/bus/usb is not being mounted at boot, that might
> explain the lsusb problems?

That too, though both are not really serious concerns for me, but thanks :)

I turned off voluntary preemption at boot time and JFS on USB seems
more stable now.. almost as stable as -526. I discovered the problem
initially when using -526, halfway through a DVD->XviD job, I lost
access to the whole external drive. Rebooting to -533 revealed that
the situation is even worse there (until voluntary preemption is
turned off).

Would be nice to have /proc/sys/kernel knobs to control preemption
though. Are those removed by upstream or by Red Hat developers?
(Though since in this case upstream = Ingo who works for Red Hat,
there's not much difference)

Regards,

--
Michel Salim 林智勇