CUPS still giving me problems

Tim Waugh twaugh at redhat.com
Tue Aug 31 14:34:00 UTC 2004

On Tue, Aug 31, 2004 at 01:10:10PM +0100, PFJ wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Despite a weekend of trying to get cups to respond, I'm faced with
> either having to install from source or find a previous version.
>
> The error logs indicate the backend is dead rather than anything else.
> s-c-printer still causes a fall over and the desktop to restart itself
> (nautilus is killed, gnome-panel is killed and so are all applications
> running at the time).
>
> Trying to restart the cups server kills the machine!
>
> Is there another release candidate due soon or should I install from
> source with all of the fun and games that brings?

CUPS is working fine for me, and I haven't seen any bug reports
similar to your description (that's a hint to file one yourself, by
the way :-) ).

You say that "the backend" is dead: which backend do you think is the
trouble-maker?  It's easy to disable a backend, just by removing the
executable bit, so it's not difficult to test.

Tim.
*/