GNOME Terminal Issue?

mgalvin at nycap.rr.com mgalvin at nycap.rr.com
Tue Aug 31 17:55:50 UTC 2004

When logging into a remote box via ssh from in a GNOME Terminal (2.7.3) I get the following error when running vi on the remote box.

my actions include...

Open up a new GNOME Terminal
run: ssh -l me <remotebox>
#remotebox: vi <file>

<<snip>>

E558: Terminal entry not found in terminfo
'gnome' not known. Available builtin terminals are:
    builtin_gui
    builtin_riscos
    builtin_amiga
    builtin_beos-ansi
    builtin_ansi
    builtin_pcansi
    builtin_win32
    builtin_vt320
    builtin_vt52
    builtin_xterm
    builtin_iris-ansi
    builtin_debug
    builtin_dumb
defaulting to 'ansi'

<<snip>>

when this happens, vi does not function correctly either.

vi on the remote box works just fine when logging in from my win box with SecureCRT. It seems as it may be an issue with GNOME Terminal 2.7.3, but i am not sure. Has anyone else run into this issue? The remote box is a debian box.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Matt