play *.wmv

Harry Putnam reader at newsguy.com
Sat Dec 4 17:15:49 UTC 2004

Ralph Angenendt <ralph+fedora at strg-alt-entf.org> writes:

> Harry Putnam wrote:
>> What do we use to play *.wmv files?
>
> Proprietary codecs.

Yeah but there are tools to do it:

The mplayer at `ayo' repo for core 3 works on my newly updated F4.

 http://ayo.freshrpms.net/fedora/linux/3/i386/freshrpms

You will need the codec package here:

  http://www2.mplayerhq.hu/homepage/design7/codecs.html
 (The one named `essential'.. first in list)
There may be directions with it I didn't look.  I just opened the
 package and put it all under /usr/local/win32.   Where mplayer seemed
 to be looking for it.

It worked fine after that.  On at least the 1 *.wmv video I wanted to
see.

Oh, and there were a herd of dependancies.  But that all just worked
when I put this in yum.conf:
  baseurl=http://ayo.freshrpms.net/fedora/linux/3/i386/freshrpms

Yum pulled down a bunch of other packages including mplayer.
I then installed the codecs, and away she goes.