Unable to boot my system totally - please help!

Paul F. Johnson paul at all-the-johnsons.co.uk
Sun Dec 5 13:34:52 UTC 2004

Hi,

> > It's either that or when I asked someone else to install the kernel, they
> > used rpm -Uv and ignored the postun (etc) errors... Now that will have
> > screwed things up!
>
> I installed the kernel you posted about and I did not get any errors
> on install, plus I am running it right now just fine.  What I DID
> get was for some reason /boot was not mounted at that time, the
> kernel files were instead copied into the mountpoint itself (ie, the
> /boot in the root filesystem that should be an empty mountpoint
> "covered over" by the actual mounted /boot filesystem).  I had to
> mount the boot filesystem elsewhere and copy over the files from
> /boot into it, adjust /boot/grub/grub./conf and then reboot and it
> worked fine.  I think this was to do with recent initscripts
> troubles at the time I installed the new kernel.

That sounds like what I'm having. Exactly how did you get things back again (a
step by step would be nice).

One thing I've noticed - I've run the rescue, chroot to /mnt/sysimage and run
yum -y --exclude=swig update. I'm getting a lot of post error 255s. Not on
every package though.

Looks like something is seriously snarled :-(

TTFN

Paul