The dual panels are great!

Harry Putnam reader at newsguy.com
Mon Dec 6 21:44:18 UTC 2004

"Rodolfo J. Paiz" <rpaiz at simpaticus.com> writes:

> On Mon, 2004-12-06 at 12:13 -0500, Mark McLoughlin wrote:
>> 	It used to be a 48 pixel bottom panel - now you have two 24 pixel
>> panels. No less space ...
>>

> I use a 24-pixel bottom panel only. :-)
>
> However, while you are mathematically correct in any case, the same is
> not true perceptually. Due to the placement of screens and the eye's
> tendency to scan top-to-bottom, pixels at the top of the screen are
> perceived as being more prominent than those at the bottom. So even
> though no more space is being taken, the space that *is* used is now
> more valuable space... so the user does see a difference.

To make space less of a factor:

Put this in one of the `display' subsections of `Screen' section in
/etc/X11/xorg.conf.  Use the display subsection that contains your
`DefaultDepth' line (if you have one):

      Virtual   1600 1280

This will give you a nice large desktop to flop around on.
I've used it for years.  May take some getting used to since you can
pan around with the mouse.