i815 graphics

Russell Coker russell at coker.com.au
Wed Dec 8 13:33:06 UTC 2004

I've just got a couple of new (to me) Compaq P3-800 machines with i815
graphics on the motherboard.

When I try installing FC3 as well as the usual problem of every second attempt
crashing the machine when it enters graphics mode I have another problem.

At the stage of getting to selecting packages the screen does not update.  The
dialog box "Reading Package Information..." remains on the screen, and then
when I move the mouse cursor it changes the background color of "Install
Default Software Packages" and "Customize Software Packages to be Installed"
radio button text and thus causes them to appear (but the "Reading Package
Information..." dialog is still on screen).

If I continue then subsequent screens have the same problem and a graphical
install is not feasible (and I imagine that if I did complete the install I
would not be able to use X due to the same bug).

Anyone else seen similar bugs?