FC3: Problems with mounting USB harddisk

Stephan Groß st.gross at gmx.de
Fri Dec 10 08:20:58 UTC 2004

Am Donnerstag, 9. Dezember 2004 22:06 schrieb Terry Polzin:

First of all, with this last posting I am moving my enquiry to fedora-list as
I seem to bother some guys on this list with an FC3 topic. I am sorry for
being off-topic here though I believe this problem still persists in FC4 (I
do not have the time to test this).

> On Thursday 09 December 2004 15:57, Stephan Groß wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm trying to use my external USB harddisk under FC3. When I plug in the
> > disk it is recognized by hald and the /etc/fstab is (correctly) modified
> > (see attachment). But if an unpriviledged user mounts one of the ext3
> > partitions he only has read access but no write access on it. Only root
> > is alowed to read AND write to the partition. If the partition is
> > formated as FAT the user mounting it has both read and write access to
> > it. Short question: Is it possible to get read-write access for ext3
> > partitions and if yes, how must I adjust my config?
> >
> > Thank you for some advice.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Stephan.
>
> What are the permissions on
>
> /media
> /media/usbdisk

They are (of course) owned by root and only writable for root but if I mount a
FAT-partition, the ownership is changed automatically to the user who mounted
it. So, to render my question more precisely: Why isn't the ownership of a
mounted ext3 partition not ajusted to the id of the mounting user?

Regards,
Stephan.