Where do you get the fedora extras from?

Michael A. Peters mpeters at mac.com
Wed Dec 15 06:49:22 UTC 2004

On 12/10/2004 03:38:55 AM, Mark Bradbury wrote:

> I would prefer not to use freshrpm and others as there always seems
> be conflicts with fedora base fedora.us and livna.org.

Hi.
The conflict issue is overstated.
I ran into one conflict with freshrpms and livna - I contacted the
parties, and freshrpms was quick to go out of his way to resolve the
issue.

I know of one other but I haven't contacted anyone yet about it (I want
to personally look into the packaging differences before I do). But the
"other" repositories do try hard to be compatable and will respond to
issues. But it takes two to kiss.

But it's not as big of a deal, imho, as the Fedora.us wiki makes it
sound to be.

You can specifically exclude packages from one or the other - or use a
really nify package manager called smart (it's available from dag I
believe) and set priority - as in freshrpms could have a priority of 0,
fedora extras/livna could have a priority of 1, base OS could have a
priority of 3, updates-released could have a priority of 4.

In that way - most freshrpms conflists with Fedora.us would instantly
be eliminate. Now you might have problems the other way (wanting to
install a freshrpms package for which a fedora extras dependency isn't
good enough) but in those cases, you could individually set the
priority of the freshrpms version of the package to higher than Fedora
Extras.

Seriously - take a look at smart - it solves a LOT of the repo mixing
issues. And really - the issues are (imho) blown out of proportion.
Yes, some exist.

-=-
What would be nice is if there were two or three people from Fedora who
exist to work things out with the other repositories so that compromise
could be reached and users would not suffer.

I would LOVE to see that.