Fedora Project launches Pre-Extras

Doncho N. Gunchev mr700 at globalnet.bg
Fri Dec 17 00:09:10 UTC 2004

On 2004-12-16 (Thursday) 22:23, Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 15:10:52 -0500, Matthew Miller <mattdm at mattdm.org> wrote:
> > I find it *incredibly* useful for this information to be in the filename.
>
> if its a useful thing to have in the filename.... then the vendor tag
> needs to become a standard part of the filename, instead of pushing
> more and more and more information into the same tag field.

  +1, but "Vendor: Dag Apt Repository, http://dag.wieers.com/apt/" is
quite big to be in the filename, for example 'dag' is quite better.
Ex: autossh-1.2-1.f.0.rh9.dag.i386.rpm - name-ver.DIST.REPO.ARCH.rpm

> If its a useful thing to have... in the rpm -q output... then the
> vendor tag should become part of the standard rpm -q output.

    Probably, I use an alias for this purpose.

> The rpm tag space is a HUGE wasteland of crap at the moment... and it
> needs to be cleaned up and it needs to be used.

    I remember other thoughts. If the header was xml-like it would be
easier to add new tags. If the package's contents was signed before
compression it would be possible to use xdelta. SuSE AFAIK use patched
or forked rpm that implements something like "patch" packages...
    The bad news is that any of these changes needs new the rpm format
or program :(

--
Regards,
  Doncho N. Gunchev    Registered Linux User #291323 at counter.li.org
  GPG-Key-ID: 1024D/DA454F79                        http://pgp.mit.edu
  Key fingerprint = 684F 688B C508 C609 0371  5E0F A089 CB15 DA45 4F79