Automatic Installation of Printers

Jeffrey D. Yuille jeffy5 at optonline.net
Fri Dec 17 13:14:01 UTC 2004

On Friday 17 December 2004 01:13 am, Michael A. Peters wrote:
> On 12/16/2004 03:47:59 PM, Jeffrey D. Yuille wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> >      A suggestion for FC4 would be the automatic detection and
> > installation of
> > printers on the local machine, as is the case with some other
> > distributions
> > of Linux, with the option to choose CUPS or not.
>
> Fedora does this already - at least it does for me, with usb printers.
> Except for the part of choosing cups or not. You can however post
> install remove a printer from the cups configuration if you don't want
> to use cups.
Hello Michael,

      Perhaps I am missing something during the initial installation. I guess
the problem that I am having is when I am trying to get other machines on the
network to print from the machine where the printer is installed.  I have
already gone through the steps of sharing a printer, etc.  I have a small
network with a mixed environment of wireless and ethernet machines.  They can
see the printer but cannot print to it.  Perhaps the firewalls that are set
up by default are preventing the machines on the network from printing, I
don't know.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  By the way, I have an
Epson Stylus C80 printer attached to a Dell Dimension XPS t600 Desktop.  I
also use CUPS.

Jeff