Automatic Installation of Printers

Timothy Murphy tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
Fri Dec 17 13:48:10 UTC 2004

On Friday 17 December 2004 13:14, Jeffrey D. Yuille wrote:

>       Perhaps I am missing something during the initial installation. I
> guess the problem that I am having is when I am trying to get other
> machines on the network to print from the machine where the printer is
> installed.

You are not alone.
CUPS is almost wilfully difficult to configure.
First of all you have to give some crazy URL to get at the documentation;
and when you get there it is almost completely incomprehensible.

The idea that it might assist if one gave a concrete example
instead of describing the philosophy behind the system
is evidently outside th ken of the CUPS team.

An automatic configuration would be marvellous.
But in the meantime a page of examples would be a godsend.

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366