Fedora Project launches Pre-Extras

Michael Schwendt fedora at wir-sind-cool.org
Fri Dec 17 23:47:32 UTC 2004

On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 18:29:21 -0500, Charles R. Anderson wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 17, 2004 at 11:52:33PM +0200, Doncho N. Gunchev wrote:
> >     I think that's all that can be done without touching rpm and that's
> > why I like it. If rpm is to be modified it's another story... so much
>
> You don't need to modify RPM to add fields to the filename:
>
> ~/.rpmmacros:
> %_rpmfilename   %%{NAME}-%%{VERSION}-%%{RELEASE}.%%{ARCH}.rpm
>
> You can add whatever tags you want here.  Now, whether there is a
> suitable tag to use is another story.  Vendor and Distribution tags
> have traditionally not been in a suitable format for a filename.  If
> the vendor tag could be agreed to be restricted to short strings like
> "rh", "fe", etc. then this might be workable:
>
> %_rpmfilename   %%{NAME}-%%{VERSION}-%%{RELEASE}.%%{VENDOR}.%%{ARCH}.rpm

That won't work. To add independent tags/fields to an RPM package file
name, you must modify every available RPM filename parser so they
recognize this new scheme. Available RPM tools would parse %vendor in
your filename as belonging to %release.  And "rpm -qp --qf
%{vendor}\\n package.rpm" would return the internal value set in the
"Vendor:" tag, not your vendor from the file name.