Fedora Project launches Pre-Extras

Willem Riede wrrhdev at riede.org
Sun Dec 19 14:11:32 UTC 2004

On 12/18/2004 07:47:35 PM, seth vidal wrote:
> > We shouldn't have non-version-comparison data used to compare versions.

[snip]
>  release: versioning information for the release of the package. This
> includes describing what distro the package is FOR. It should NOT
> include telling the user where the package is FROM.

I'm not so sure about this. The same n-e-v-r from two repo's can easily
still be different - for instance, they can:
a) have different dependancies,
b) have different patches applied,
b) be compiled with different options.

If they have different dependancies, yum might actually be able to pick the
package that's right for me. If not, how does yum decide? Ask me? How do I
decide?

I do see the benefit that Dag claims for ease of recognition by means of the
repotag (and yes, I realize that is easily forged, but people take convenience
over limited risk any day, and I have verified the repo authentication before
I put its URL in /etc/yum.repos.d). I do see the problem that zork isn't the
right answer just because of the letter z coming last in the alphabet. What I
don't have, unfortunately, is the right answer :-(

Sigh, Willem Riede.