Fedora Project launches Pre-Extras

Charles R. Anderson cra at WPI.EDU
Sun Dec 19 17:00:01 UTC 2004

On Sun, Dec 19, 2004 at 05:02:25PM +0100, Dag Wieers wrote:
> But there is a real use to having it in the filename and EVR info,
> despite the fact that we're using the release tag for something it wasn't
> designed for.

Why are you against putting repotags into a separate RPM tag and then
having that RPM tag appear in the filename and in the default rpm -q
output?  I see that as a compromise between those who don't see a need
for it to appear in the file/package name at all, and those who want
to overload the Release tag.  Yes, it requires the *configuration* of
rpm and the buildsystems to change.  Yes, it may require tools to
change (but tools shouldn't be parsing filenames).  Change is how
improvements are made.  Start by changing things for FC4, and continue
to use the legacy methods for older distros.