Fedora Project launches Pre-Extras

Christopher A. Williams chrisw01 at privatei.com
Sun Dec 19 17:38:20 UTC 2004

On Sun, 2004-12-19 at 12:00 -0500, Charles R. Anderson wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 19, 2004 at 05:02:25PM +0100, Dag Wieers wrote:
> > But there is a real use to having it in the filename and EVR info,
> > despite the fact that we're using the release tag for something it wasn't
> > designed for.
>
> Why are you against putting repotags into a separate RPM tag and then
> having that RPM tag appear in the filename and in the default rpm -q
> output?  I see that as a compromise between those who don't see a need
> for it to appear in the file/package name at all, and those who want
> to overload the Release tag.  Yes, it requires the *configuration* of
> rpm and the buildsystems to change.  Yes, it may require tools to
> change (but tools shouldn't be parsing filenames).  Change is how
> improvements are made.  Start by changing things for FC4, and continue
> to use the legacy methods for older distros.

Thank you! At last a voice of reason in this long and heated thread. I
think this, frankly, is a great solution. It satisfies the technical
arguments that have been made (at least the ones I have seen) on both
sides. If everyone is willing to compromise, I would certainly support
this direction.

Cheers,

Chris

--