Automatic Installation of Printers

Phil Schaffner P.R.Schaffner at IEEE.org
Mon Dec 20 04:07:09 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-12-17 at 20:50 -0500, Jeffrey D. Yuille wrote:
> On Friday 17 December 2004 05:47 pm, Kyrre Ness Sjobak wrote:
> > fre, 17.12.2004 kl. 21.06 skrev Rodolfo J. Paiz:

Thats putting it mildly.

>       I was the one that originally posted this message.  I went to my web
> browser and typed in "Localhost:631", and saw that print jobs were still in
> the queue and the errors were "Unable to look up host "XXXXX- unknown host".
> As I previously mentioned, I have a local LAN and can connect to the internet
> from all of the hosts but am having difficulty in seeing the other nodes on
> the network when it comes to printing - that is, when I try to print
> remotely.  When I go the the printing manager, it shows that it can see the
> printer on the remote computer. I can sucessfully ping all of the hosts on
> the LAN, however.  All five machines have Fedora Core 3 installed on them.
> How can I correct this problem?  I have a wireless router with four ethernet
> ports and the printer is an Epson Stylus C80 on one of the desktops.  How do
> I get the computers to "find" the host on which the printer resides?  Any
> help would be greatly appreciated.

I have a similar setup on a 192.168.1.x network behind a cable modem and
router.  Using static IP addresses, rather than allowing the router to
assign them via DHCP, and making entries for all the machines
in /etc/hosts works for me.

Phil