Automatic Installation of Printers

Terry Linhardt linhardt at swbell.net
Mon Dec 20 16:23:18 UTC 2004

Jeffrey D. Yuille wrote:

>On Friday 17 December 2004 01:13 am, Michael A. Peters wrote:
>

>>On 12/16/2004 03:47:59 PM, Jeffrey D. Yuille wrote:
>>

>>>Hello,
>>>
>>>     A suggestion for FC4 would be the automatic detection and
>>>installation of
>>>printers on the local machine, as is the case with some other
>>>distributions
>>>of Linux, with the option to choose CUPS or not.
>>>

>>Fedora does this already - at least it does for me, with usb printers.
>>Except for the part of choosing cups or not. You can however post
>>install remove a printer from the cups configuration if you don't want
>>to use cups.
>>

>Hello Michael,
>
>      Perhaps I am missing something during the initial installation. I guess
>the problem that I am having is when I am trying to get other machines on the
>network to print from the machine where the printer is installed.  I have
>already gone through the steps of sharing a printer, etc.  I have a small
>network with a mixed environment of wireless and ethernet machines.  They can
>see the printer but cannot print to it.  Perhaps the firewalls that are set
>up by default are preventing the machines on the network from printing, I
>don't know.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  By the way, I have an
>Epson Stylus C80 printer attached to a Dell Dimension XPS t600 Desktop.  I
>also use CUPS.
>
>Jeff

Whenever I suspect firewall issues I temporarily disable my firewall
settings. (I am on an internal network, and feel safe in doing this for
a quick test).  I my case, I found that I *did* have firewall issues
preventing me from accessing a printer from a remote machine. After
that, I opened the required port and remote machines were able to print.

Terry