What Packages in Fedora you be thankful of?

Kyrre Ness Sjobak kyrre at solution-forge.net
Mon Dec 27 18:13:33 UTC 2004

ons, 22.12.2004 kl. 01.55 skrev joelbryan:
> Now christmas is coming, and Fedora Project make it this far, I think
> it's time for us to thank the developers, just for the holiday to make
> it memorable.
>
> In any version released in Fedora core, what packages or features you
> be thankful of? Create your own list, and tell how you feel thankful
> for it.
>
> This is my list.
>
> 1. The Bluecurve desktop, the developers behind the artworks and
> icons, personally I like it very much, it not only bring much
> familiarity, ease of use, and comfortability, it also brings a "breath
> of life and fresh air" in all the desktop races, giving hope in
> familiarization, standardization, and on using the desktop more
> easily. To the developers, thank you for doing so.

Yup!

> 2. The Anaconda Installer, because it's the most easiest Linux
> installation I've ever seen, aside from it's easy to install linux
> with it, it has a welcoming atmosphere, and the package selection
> where as easy as "add/remove programs" in windows, and making it
> available it the desktop is an innovation to Linux. To the developer,
> here is my thanks to you.

Agreed

> 3. The up2date applet. Not only this is omnipresent in the desktop, It
> is also makes easier to see when your system is behind the latest
> packages, because up2date automatically display in icons the status of
> your system, in an animated applet. So the next time you see a message
> "Your system is fully updated", it would bring a smile in your face.
> Thanks for this.

NOOO!!! The idea is good, but the implementation sucks... Mesa wantses a
yum aplet!

And damn animation, DIE!!!

long live yum! it is getting better and better all the time, now we only
need a snappy gui for it, and an aplet to go with it...

> 4. Inclusion of Rythmbox, Evolution 2 and Firefox. I'm thankful for
> inclusion of Rythmbox, because it makes me organized my audio CD's,
> more like iTunes does, and the new Evolution is easier to use and
> Firefox browser that replaced the heavy mozilla browser. Hopefully we
> see more packages like Calendars, Paint applications, and cool games.
> But thanks for you guys who makes the Fedora complete (yet for now).

Agreed. I was just about to mention rythmbox and firefox. evolution 2 i
haven't tried yet, but if it is anything close to evo 1, it got to be
nice :)

As for rythmbox, a working, built-in tag editor would be nice. Not that
there is anything wrong with easytag...

> Of course, Fedora isn't yet that complete, there's a lot of room for
> improvement, and innovations. This where just based on my personal
> opinion, and my thanks to the developers that I feel the need to be
> grateful of, using all of this. Anyways, I'm grateful, and thanks for
> all of your effort, thank you very much.

Yup. Now we are just waiting for the extras to arrive, and it seems like
there might even be a polish-up on the rpm building tools as well.

Hooray for fedora and its developers!!