mailman question[MAILER-DAEMON: Returned mail: see transcript for details]

David Meyer dmm at 1-4-5.net
Mon Dec 27 20:45:21 UTC 2004

	I'm sure folks have seen this (many times) already, so
	thanks for the help up front.

	So I'm trying to get mailman to run on FC3, and I am
	running into the following problem:

>>    ----- Transcript of session follows -----
>> Group mismatch error. Mailman expected the mail wrapper script to be
>> executed as one of the following groups:
>> [mail, postfix, mailman, nobody],
>> but the system's mail server executed the mail script as group: "mailnull".
>> Try tweaking the mail server to run the script as one of these groups:
>> [mail, postfix, mailman, nobody],
>> or re-run configure providing the command line option:
>> '--with-mail-gid=mailnull'.
>> 554 5.3.0 unknown mailer error 2

	Since I installed mailman from the RPM, I didn't
	configure it. Further, sendmail.8.13.1 has a config
	option that looks like

# default UID (can be username or userid:groupid)
# O DefaultUser=mailnull

	If you set DefaultUser to something else, everything else
	goes south...

	Anyone have a suggestion?

	Thanks, and have a safe and happy new year,

	Dave