Installing on SATA drives?

Rob Myers rob.myers at gtri.gatech.edu
Tue Feb 3 18:26:19 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-02-03 at 12:07, Tarjei Knapstad wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-02-03 at 17:42, Douglas Kilpatrick wrote:
> > > This chip is not currently supported by Fedora Core.  You would basically
> > > have to merge a patch, rebuild the kernel rpms, then rebuild the distro.
> >
> > Is that going to mean I need a cross-compile setup to rebuild the kernel
> > RPMSs?
> >

> Either that, or you could install to a PATA drive and do it from there,
> assuming there's a PATA controller on your Opteron motherboard (a small
> PATA drive won't cost you much if you haven't allready got one lying
> around...)
>
> If you did this, I'm not sure if you could just compile a new kernel and
> boot it on the PATA drive and then launch a new install to the SATA
> drives... anyone?

i installed on a PATA drive, built a new kernel with sil3114 support and
just copied all the partitions from the PATA disk to the SATA disk.

on 2.6.1 and 2.6.2-rc2 my experience with the sata_sil.c patches is that
they work fine with less than 4 or 5gb of ram, but subtly fail with more
than that.  the siimage patches are stable with 8gb of ram.

let me know if your experience is similar to mine.

good luck!

rob.