AMD64 install failure on LSI Megaraid.

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Thu Feb 5 01:45:28 UTC 2004

Eric Wood writes:

>> The only other detail here is that the Megaraid card is in the 32 bit PCI
>> slot.  For some reason I can't boot the machine with the Megaraid card in
>> the 64 bit slot.
>
> What's kind of motherboard are you using?  Have you flash your RAID card
> with the latest BIOS.  I did so on my 320-1 card and I believe it made it
> compatible with the latest driver.

It's an Accelertech ATO2161 dual-Opteron motherboard.  I just flashed the
320-1 to the latest BIOS, also flashed the latest BIOS to the motherboard,
and it made no difference.  The partitions format OK, but as soon as it
begins copying the packages, a slew of disk errors come out on tty4, and the
install aborts.

I'm wondering whether this has anything to do with me putting the 320-1 card
into a 32-bit PCI slot, because that's the only way I could get the machine
to boot at all.  If I put the card into one of the 64bit slots, the machine
does not survive the POST.

Although this does point to a hardware issue, I note that I can format the
RAID partitions, and I can manually use dd to write over the entire
partition without reporting any errors whatsoever.  It's only when Anaconda
starts installing stuff does all the hell break loose.