x86_64 and Radeon 9600

mark at harddata.com mark at harddata.com
Sat Feb 7 07:22:16 UTC 2004

> I'm trying to install Fedora Core 1 x86_64 and it says it cannot
> recognize my monitor or video card, even though it outputs to the
> display.  The install switches to text mode and finishes successfully.
> After rebooting, Linux starts at the command line.  I'm not sure how to
> get it to recognize my hardware and start X.  Is anyone else having this
>  problem, what can I do to fix it?
>
> Here's my system setup:
> ASUS K8V Deluxe
> AMD 64 3200
> 60GB IDE Hard Drive
> 2x 250GB SATA RAID 0
> 1GB DDR400 RAM
> ATI Radeon 9600SE
> KDS Visual Sensations 21" monitor
> USB Mouse
> PS/2 Keyboard

Well the radeon driver should support 2D with that card but I don't know
if the PCI ID for the 9600SE is recognized or not. Try setting the driver
to radeon in your XF86Config. You may be able to do this
redhat-config-display. You can also use redhat-config-display to set the
monitor to your specific model. If your monitor isn't a listed model, you
can enter the ranges for Horizontal and Vertical Refresh Rates found in
the Monitor Manual or from that models specs online.

If per chance the video still doesn't work even after tell Xfree86 to use
the radeon driver, you may need to upgrade the driver or place recognized
PCI ID in your XF86Config file. Information on how to do this should be
available in the Xfree86 users' mailing list or the DRI users' list.