FC1 -> FC2 upgrade and LVM

Francois-Xavier Kowalski francois-xavier.kowalski at wanadoo.fr
Sun Feb 8 22:12:57 UTC 2004

Jeremy Katz wrote:

> [...]
>
>>now, will i be able to do something like that with FC?  particularly
>>in going from FC1 to FC2-test?  will i be able to preserve my LVM1-
>>based volumes and just remount them?  or am i asking for way too
>>much?  and, of course, once i have the new system up and running,
>>one would like to convert all of the volumes to LVM2.  can i make
>>this any more difficult? :-)
>>

>Sure, the LVM1 volumes should be found in anaconda and you should just
>be able to assign them mount points.  As far as conversion, anaconda
>isn't going to do this, but '/sbin/lvm vgconvert' should be able to do
>it.

Reading this thread & all of the archive that was abel to browse (with
all of the right packages installed from Arjan's APT server), I am still
not able to figure out what is the migration patch from FC1+LVM1 to
FC2+LVM2.

I am still wondering how to make a 2.6 kernel (Arjan's -149) recognize
my LVM1 using dm loaded in an initrd. From a mail archive, I have seen
how to make|force an initrd using lvm2 from a 2.4 running kernel
(hacking mkinitrd script), but this is not what I want: I am not even
speaking of migrating to LVM2 there. Anyone that can help mee booting
2.6 with LVM1 inittrd[1]?

Or shall I first migrate to LVM2 under 2.4 & then to 2.6? In this case,
do I have to make my own hand-made kernel with DM patches or is the
current DM support in 2.4.22-66 enough? I assume that the
above-mentionned vgconvert stage is the tricky no-way-back point, right?

So far, I have migrated to FC2-pre (tupdates on freshrpms) all of my
systems without any big issue (but the USB keyboard & mouse... case to
add an alias in modprobe|modules.conf  by default?) but my LVM boxes are
stuck in 2.4.

TIA

[1] Default mkinitrd fails, otherwise I would not ask. Eh?

% rpm -q mkinitrd device-mapper lvm lvm2
mkinitrd-3.5.15.1-2
device-mapper-1.00.07-1
lvm-1.0.3-17
lvm2-2.00.08-2