terminology and the hierarchy of releases

Will Backman whb at ceimaine.org
Mon Feb 9 18:11:34 UTC 2004

Could we develop some hints for basic testers?
Proposed setups?  For example (although this example might be useless):
Testers might want to get two hard drives.  Before testing, tar (or dump,
or pax, or cpio) your system and stick it on the second drive.  Test the
upgrade.  Report bugs to bugzila.  Restore your system to what you had
before.  Wait until next text release, repeat.  This would prevent
upgrades from FC1 -> FC2rc1 -> FC2rc2 ->FC2rc3.  I assume what we really
want is FC1 -> FC2rc1, FC1 ->FC2rc2, FC1 -> FC2rc3

I dunno.  I've never worked in a release testing lab at a software
company, but I would guess there are some common ways to test.  Is there
some sort of grid we can create, and people can test agains and report
against those cases?