terminology and the hierarchy of releases

Alexandre Oliva aoliva at redhat.com
Tue Feb 10 19:05:45 UTC 2004

On Feb 10, 2004, Bill Nottingham <notting at redhat.com> wrote:

> Axel Thimm (Axel.Thimm at physik.fu-berlin.de) said:

>> o If a package has to be removed w/o any replacement, let it be
>> obsoleted by fedora-release, or a special clean-up package
>> fedora-remove-obsoleted-developement. It can be argued that this is
>> not even neccessary to keep upgrade paths, so consider this optional.

> No, this causes problems if people go to add their own version of it
> later.

`it' being the fedora-remove-obsoleted-development package itself, or
some other package it's purported to clean up?

I think such an obsoleted package could be a nice thing to have in the
installer, on updates: the installer would install it (to clean up old
packages) and then remove it at the end of the installation, such that
the package wouldn't prevent the installation of the removed package
again.  It could also obsolete specific version numbers or ranges
(assuming such a thing is possible).

Happy GNU Year!                     oliva@{lsd.ic.unicamp.br, gnu.org}