Dell Lattitude CPx Battery Shutdown

Rick Johnson rjohnson at medata.com
Fri Feb 13 15:59:11 UTC 2004

Alexandre Oliva wrote:

> On Feb 13, 2004, Rick Johnson <rjohnson at medata.com> wrote:
>

>>I've tried both an upgrade and a fresh install. It appears that when I
>>boot up with the battery in, the system will shut down shortly after
>>detecting file systems (modprobe time?).
>

> I got the same problem on my Inspiron 8000.  Booting without rhgb
> would enable me to see the amusing message (quoted from memory) `limit
> temperature -296 degrees Celsius reached, shutting down'.
>
> After reading this, I tested acpi=on without battery and it wouldn't
> do it any more.
>
> Upgrading to 2.6.2-1.74 fixed it as well.  I'm tentatively closing bug
> 115518.  Please reopen if you find that it doesn't fix the problem for
> you.

I did note (very late last night) that the newer kernel allowed me to
stay up as well.

I want to say the battery applet doesn't work well with ACPI, but I
could be mistaken. That's more of an applet, not a kernel issue. If I
can reproduce, I'll file it.

-Rick

Rick Johnson, RHCE #807302311706007 - rjohnson at medata.com
Linux/Network Administrator - Medata, Inc. (from home)