FC2-t1 exhibits long delay on LVM setup

Alexandre Oliva aoliva at redhat.com
Fri Feb 13 17:23:35 UTC 2004

On Feb 13, 2004, Ben Steeves <bcs at metacon.ca> wrote:

> I just installed a FC2 Test 1 system and applied all of the days
> patches.  When the machine boots, it sits at teh "Setting up Logical
> Volume Management" phase for a very long time (about 5 minutes).  After
> this delay, the message "setlocale failed" is printed and boot continues
> normally.  The filesystems all appear to work correctly.

> Is anyone else seeing odd LVM behaviour?

lvm vgscan scans pretty much every block device it can get its hands
on.  You may filter out stuff that doesn't matter for you using a
filter directive in /etc/lvm/lvm.conf.  Here's what I use for a
machine whose physical volumes are *all* raid devices:

devices {
    filter = [ "a|/dev/md.*|", "r|.*|" ]
}

this is for another box in which the `r'(emoved) devices are RAID
members:

devices {
    filter = [ "r|/dev/hd[acegimos][5689]|", "r|/dev/hd[acegimos]1[012]|", "a|.*|" ]
}

skipping raid members is a big problem that I wish lvm could take care
of by itself, otherwise anaconda will have to do it by itself.  If you
don't skip raid members, lvm vgscan will simply bail out after finding
some ``duplicate'' physical volumes, that turn out to be just the RAID
1 members and the RAID device itself.  Ugh!

Anyhow, limiting the scanning to only the devices that matter for you
(with "a|regexp|", skipping everything else) will help speed up the
boot very significantly.

Happy GNU Year!                     oliva@{lsd.ic.unicamp.br, gnu.org}