missing boot disk.img

Phil Schaffner P.R.Schaffner at IEEE.org
Sat Feb 14 02:06:48 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-02-13 at 13:19 -0800, Japheth Cleaver wrote:
> It creates a problem for those with large numbers of machines w/o CD-ROM
> drives. Many motherboard+fedora combos can't boot successfully from a USB
> CDROM ; yet it's trivially easy to walk around with a USB floppy and run
> your installs from that (when paired with a local kickstart file, or even a
> remote one).

A workaround that does it for me:

cd [install_directory]/isolinux
cp vmlinuz /boot/vmlinuz-1.90
cp initrd.img /boot/initrd-1.90.img

Alternatively, do it over the net via scp.

Add the following stanza to /boot/grub/grub.conf (assuming /boot is in
the first partition of the first hard drive, (/dev/hde1 for me, more
likely /dev/hda1 or possibly /dev/sda1 depending on hardware config and
BIOS settings):

title Fedora test1 (1.90) installer
        root(hd0,0)
        kernel /vmlinuz-1.90
        initrd /initrd-1.90.img

Then reboot into the installer.  Has worked for NFS installs - see no
reason why other methods won't work as well.  Can also make a grub
floppy with a menu so you only have to copy the files to the appropriate
place on each machine.

Phil